Write down the thoughts of the moment. Those that come unsought for are commonly the most valuable. -- SIR FRANCIS BACON

Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it. -- C.S. LEWIS

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Motivate Me


I have been thinking as of late on the topic of motivation. The idea of understanding what motivates a person has always interested me.

If the means are equally important as the ends, then it is important to understand why we do what we do.

At the risk of over simplifying the complexities of what motivates a human being, there appears to be a chasm in realm of motivation: on the one hand, there is the motivation to serve the self; and on the other, there is the motivation to serve others (the second greatest commandment) and the motivation to serve God (the greatest commandment). See Matthew 22:35-40.

For example, why do I like to put ketchup on my french fries? What motivates me to do so? It is the taste that I so enjoy as a result of the wedding of deep-fried potato pieces with a tomato-based miracle recipe. The point being, though, that I use ketchup for me. The fact that the answer is me and not others or God is not necessarily bad. But understanding why I do a particular thing helps me better evaluate whether I should be doing such a thing.

It seems that the answer from the motivational question is really an answer from the heart, if we are indeed capable of answering it honestly. This is, perhaps, why this question is particularly insightful.

Why do I love? Why do I smile? Why do I watch a particular television show? Why am I cordial with others? Why should I seek to become educated? Why do I do...?

It seems that the eternal, and most meaningful answers, involve a desire to serve God or others. Whereas, the temporal answers involve oneself--because ketchup sure tastes good, at least until I run out of french fries.


Soli Deo Gloria

No comments: