Write down the thoughts of the moment. Those that come unsought for are commonly the most valuable. -- SIR FRANCIS BACON

Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it. -- C.S. LEWIS

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

At Least To Me

Such and such is true, at least to me or I believe such and such is true. The retreat takes many forms, but these are the most common utterances that one hears. A person makes a proposition or assertion of truth, and then tags it with these phrases or something similar. Surprisingly, such phrases come up frequently in conversations of varying topics.

Generally, an assertion is tagged for one of two reasons. First, the above phraseology is generally used as a defense mechanism. That is, if someone challenges me in my asserted proposition, then I can always find comfort in the notion that, "well, at least that's what I believe" and the challenger then generally backs off (to do otherwise would be social taboo, or so we are told).


Second--and really an answer to the question of why the first reason above is such a successful tactic in our culture--is that the phrase "at least to me" truly embodies the relativistic mindset. Such and such may be true absolutely; but, even if it is not, then it is certainly true to me--and you have no standing to challenge the claim that it is true to me. Who am I to challenge the truth value of the views that one personally holds? Or so the argument goes. This mindset rejects the authority and existence of absolute truth. What we are left with, then, are competing claims of "truth," none of which are objectively verifiable. The consequence of such a scenario is, ultimately, an unfortunate power struggle.


I have made a concerted effort to prune this line of phraseology from my vocabulary--both because I want to be able to defend my positions without resorting to such a tactic and, more importantly, because of the dangers of a relativistic mindset. I hope you will do the same.



Soli Deo Gloria.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, that may be true for you, but . . .

Unus Veritas said...

That's hilarious! I see that you have been conditioned well.